Students for Life of America, the nation’s largest pro-life student organization, is seeking a Media Relations Coordinator. This individual will be responsible for communicating the mission and vision of Students for Life of America by writing op-eds under the President’s byline, website blog posts, and student e-mails, as well as pitching media statements and advisories to local radio, online, print, and television outlets. This individual may also be responsible for researching and developing White Papers for the Institute for Pro-Life Advancement, an Initiative of Students for Life of America. The person in this position must be a talented writer, organized, committed to meeting deadlines, and enjoy engaging in breaking news cycles.
Communications & Marketing Team Duties
• Handle day-to-day media relations activities, both responsive and proactive.
• Prepare team members for interviews, including helping to hone clear, effective messaging and staffing interviews.
• Cultivate and manage relationships with reporters, journalists and key influencers, including creating targeted media lists, sharing SFLA/SFLAction materials on an on-going basis, and regularly arranging meetings and press briefings as needed.
• Design and implement communications plans and media outreach strategies.
• Write press materials including news releases, media advisories, and talking points.
• Provide guidance on and place op-eds if needed.
• Contribute to social media plans for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and others as they arise.
• Utilize all communications tools (online outreach, podcasts, events, publications, video, social media) to maximize media coverage and contribute creative ideas to better leverage these channels.
• Develop new content partnerships and social media outreach opportunities.
• Assist with Managing and Networking with media attendees at events of all kinds.
• Track and analyze the quality and quantity of coverage.
• Assist with producing media reports.
• Help prepare content for SFLA website as needed and directed.
Experience & Qualifications
The Media Relations Coordinator must have received a minimum college bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in writing/journalism preferred along with 1-2 years minimum experience in a position in which assisting and engaging with reporters.
The Media Relations Coordinator must be an expert communicator and brand leader, have a solid understanding of Student for Life’s target audience and voice, and have great attention to detail. The person in this position must be a talented writer, organized, committed to meeting deadlines, and enjoy engaging in breaking news cycles.
He/she must be organized and able to manage several projects at once and have knowledge of grammar rules and utilize the oxford comma as well as enjoy working in a competitive environment.
• Minimum 1-2 years of media relations experience, with preference for experience in political or journalistic settings.
• Ability to build a strategic media relations plan and implement multiple media outreach strategies simultaneously.
• Knowledge of the news cycle and traditional and online media outlets.
• Ability to understand complex research and synthesize it into clear and concise oral and written communications, including for social media.
• Ability to build, in collaboration with a team, effective messages that resonate with key audiences.
• Optional but Appreciated: Experience with media monitoring software (e.g, Vocus, Meltwater, or Cision).
• Optional but Appreciated: Experience with creating products for social media.
• Optional but Appreciated: Experience with Speech Writing
• Must be a creative and enthusiastic team player, with good sense of humor and a love for a fast-paced workday.
• Foster relationships and send stories to Reporters & Journalists via social media – Twitter
• Relationships with Journalists a plus.
The Media Relations Coordinator will report to the Chief Media and Policy Strategist and Director of Communicatons and be an integral member of the Communications team. This person will collaborate with multiple departments within Students for Life.
The Media Relations Coordinator will advance campaigns in a fast-paced environment alongside dedicated team members across the country and can be based out of the Washington, D.C. (Fredericksburg, VA), Chicago, or Nashville markets.
Must have the ability to operate technical equipment such as a computer and sit for extended periods of time as well as being on the move for 8+ hours.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time salaried position working at least 45 hours per week. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m, with core hours being from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m, your time zone. Will be required to work from the Fredericksburg, VA or Chicago, IL or Nashville, TN office, unless other accommodations are made in advance.
Hours can be somewhat flexible by request.
Will be required to travel for bi-annual team trainings, and other events as required.
Required Education, Experience, and Supporting Material
The Media Relations Coordinator full-time position must have received a minimum college bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in writing/journalism preferred along with 2+ years’ experience in a position in which assisting and engaging with reporters was part of the job.
Please submit writing samples alongside your resume and cover letter. These writing samples can include: News releases, Op-eds, Talkers on an issue, Media Marketing Plan, etc.
Must be able to successfully complete an I-9. The I-9 is used for verifying the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Resume and cover letter should be sent to David Cordaro, Director of Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org