Charlotte Lozier Institute
Status: Paid - Full Time
The Charlotte Lozier Institute, the research and education arm of Susan B. Anthony List, is seeking a Communications Director to join its team of passionate pro-life scholars and experts to promote and advance the organization’s groundbreaking and education in science, statistics, and law, to the end of establishing lifesaving law and public policy. Working with CLI’s president and the Susan B. Anthony List Executive team the Communications Director is responsible for developing and executing a multi-faceted communications strategy to reach media, policymakers, coalitions, and grassroots. Ideal candidates have significant experience in communications/PR, including social media campaigns, lobbying/legislative experience, and are comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and managing multiple priorities with little assistance.
This role reports to the Executive Director of Charlotte Lozier Institute.
• Communicate with press on behalf of CLI; write press releases and statements, facilitate op-eds from CLI staff, contributors, and scholars;
• Develop a caseload of health care, policy, science, and court reporters, and pitch stories
• Field incoming press inquiries for CLI, speak with reporters on phone and over email
• Work with SBA List Communications and Government Affairs teams to ensure tailored communications to policymakers and coalitions partners; this includes:
o Managing promotion of fact sheets, policy papers, legal briefs, and special reports
o Creating and ensuring distribution/promotion of fact sheets, policy papers, legal briefs, and special reports
o Managing CLI presence at coalitions events and conferences
• Promote CLI Scholars as expert witnesses
o Produce and update promotional literature/brochures for state lawmakers and state coalition allies explaining CLI scholars’ areas of expertise
o Promote upcoming testimonies, pitch state and local media stories
• Oversee CLI online presence including multiple websites
o Work with CLI staff and scholars to ensure content for sites is up to date, ensure scheduled communications to various email lists
Forthcoming Mifeprex and fetal development sites
o Produce CLI Newsletter
o Maintain CLI social media accounts including Facebook and Twitter
• Serve as project manager and liaison between CLI/SBA and vendors for video, graphics, print publication, and website projects
• Sacrificial – candidate should be sacrificial to achieve the goals of the organization
• Scrappy – candidate must be able to be resourceful and resilient with limited resources
• Ambitious – candidate must be motivated and hungry to tackle tasks each day and push themselves to go above and beyond in everything they do.
• Strongly pro-life and committed to goals of CLI and SBA List
• Experience pitching media
• Ability to work independently
• Strong research and reading skills and ability to digest and explain detailed policy documents pertaining to pro-life laws, life sciences, statistics, and public policy
• Strong written and verbal communications skills
• Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel; ability to produce high-quality material
• Ability and commitment to work with other communications and CLI staff to ensure timely completion of projects as well as coordination of messaging
• Highly attentive to detail
• Time management and organizational skills.